Blue-green Algae – What’s the Fuss?

September 12, 2019Announcements
Author:

This summer, blue-green algae has been in the news a lot. Dogs who are exposed get very sick without warning, and exposure can be fatal. Where is it coming from, and what can you do?

Blue-green algae grows in ponds and is not algae but cyanobacteria, a primitive organism. There are benign types — like spirulina – that are marketed as a nutritional supplement. And there are toxic types, which are not identifiable just by looking at them and are not always visible as large patches. These overgrowths, or blooms, happen with increased nutrient levels and warm water temperatures.

The toxins target either the liver or the nervous system. Signs of exposure can be vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, salivating, lethargy, convulsions, seizures, or blue mucous membranes. These toxins act quickly, usually within a short time of being exposed to the water. There is no specific antidote, but supportive care can help save the dog. If exposed, your dog needs to get emergency treatment ASAP.

On warm days, you can look in the water for areas of pea soup appearance. If you think your dog has been exposed, get him emergency treatment. If you are not sure or your dog is showing mild signs, hose him off.

Blue-green algae is becoming more common because our climate is changing and pond water is staying warm longer. In addition, nutrients — waste and fertilizer run-off — pollute ponds and cause these blooms.

What to do?

  • Avoid water with the algae blooms.
  • Be cautious about letting your dog swim, especially in still water.
  • Vote for candidates who support measures to control global warming.

Some helpful links:

https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/blue-green-algae/

https://www.aspca.org/news/pet-safety-alert-rising-dangers-blue-green-algae

https://www.epa.gov/nutrientpollution/climate-change-and-harmful-algal-blooms

https://www.livescience.com/48853-spirulina-supplement-facts.html

“Thank you to all of you for your wonderful compassionate care and the support you give to us. It means so much.”

Ed and Patty, South Hadley

“Thank you for caring for Bear and Otter and thanks for being such an important part of our community.”

Margo and Bri, Northampton

“I asked my mom to write and tell you how much I enjoyed meeting you today. Thanks for being so nice to me. I can’t wait to see you again. Purr, purr, purr!”

"Lucy", Holyoke

“Over and over again you have been available to us when our furry family members have had serious problems. It is always easier dealing with those tough times because of your love, caring, and compassionate ways.”

Ann and Peter, Longmeadow

“No matter how long you have your pet, it is never long enough. A million thanks for all for the great care. You went above and beyond.”

Adele & George, Enfield